The Laboratory of Solid and Hazardous Waste Technology and Management (LSHWM) was established on 1998. The two current faculty members of the LSHWM are: Prof. D. Komilis (Head) and Prof. E. Voudrias (ex-head). Mr. Papaspyros is the technical personnel of the lab. The Laboratory currently has 5 Ph.D. candidates and 2 Ph.Ds have been completed.
The Laboratory serves the educational, research and development needs in the following areas:
– Solid and hazardous waste technology and management, including: source storage and treatment systems, collection, transport and transfer, separation, material recovery, treatment and transformation, recovery and disposal.
– Remediation of groundwater, soils and areas.
– Studies, field measurements, monitoring and control of plant operation.
– Identification of physical, chemical and biological characteristics of solid and hazardous waste.
– Development and application of physical and mathematical models.
- Applied Statistics (Komilis)
- Technology and Solid Waste Management I (Komilis)
- Technology and Solid Waste Management II (Voudrias, Komilis).
- Technology and Hazardous Waste Management (Voudrias).
- Soil and Groundwater Remediation from Hazardous Waste (Voudrias).
- Control of Solid Waste Management Systems under the scope of Circular Economy (Komilis)
- Solid and Hazardous Waste Management (Voudrias)
- Advanced Topics on Solid and Hazardous Waste Management (Komilis)
CURRENT RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
- Biodegradation of biobased plastics
- Characterization and leaching tests on Construction and Demolition Waste
- Pesticide packaging management
- Waste Biomass Valorization
- Compost stability indices
- Life Cycle Analysis and Costing on all aspects of Solid Waste Management
- Medical Waste Management
- Special Waste Streams and Circular Economy as applies to Solid Wastes