The Laboratory serves the educational, research and development needs in the following areas:
– Solid and hazardous waste management systems, such as: storage, handling and treatment at the source, collection, transport, transfer, separation, materials and energy recovery, treatment and final disposal.
– Soil and groundwater remediation systems and restoration of brownfields contaminated by solid and hazardous waste.
– Monitoring and control of solid and hazardous waste facilities, as well as of facilities for the remediation of contaminated aquifers and soils.
– Environmental impact statements and technical-social-economic studies concerning facilities for solid and hazardous waste management, as well as facilities for soil, groundwater and brownfield remediation.
– Determination of physical, chemical and biological characteristics of solid and hazardous wastes.
– Field measurements in facilities for solid and hazardous waste management, as well as facilities for soil and groundwater remediation.
– Development and application of physical and mathematical models to solid and hazardous waste management facilities, as well as facilities for soil and groundwater remediation.
– Other issues related to solid and hazardous waste management.
The mission of the Laboratory for Solid and Hazardous Waste Management is to support and promote all the activities, which contribute to the Sustainable Management of Solid and Hazardous Waste. These activities focus on the following areas:
– Teaching and research needs at both undergraduate and graduate level, for students of the Department of Environmental Engineering and other Departments of Democritus University of Thrace, related to technology and management of solid and hazardous waste.
– Development and implementation of research projects.
– Cooperation with research and academic institutions in Greece and abroad, provided that the same scientific goals are sought.
– Organization of seminars, conferences and workshops and publication of research papers, proceedings and books.
– Cooperation with public and private agencies, local governments (municipalities, prefectural authorities, regional authorities) and international organizations to provide solutions to solid and hazardous waste management problems.
– Providing services to private and public organizations and to individuals, through studies and laboratory analyses, to solve problems related to all areas of solid and hazardous waste management.
The Laboratory has several high technology instruments, used for the characterization of solid and hazardous waste and the determination of organic and inorganic contaminants, such as: TOC analyzer, gas and liquid chromatographs, flame atomic absorption spectrophotometer, element analyzer, UV-spectrophotometer, ovens, pH meters, calorimeter, leaching devices, balances, static and dynamic biological waste stability systems, lysimeters and pilot scale bioreactors.
Professor E. Voudrias (director)
Associate Professor D. Komilis (member)
Research Associate I. Papaspyros (member)
+30 25410-79377, +30 25410-79391, +30 25410-79395
Email: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Environmental Engineering
Democritus University of Thrace
12 Vas. Sophias street
GR-671 00 Xanthi